Nicolette

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Glasses & GPC


I've been struggling for a couple months with my contacts and couldn't figure out what the deal was. I just had my annual check-up in June and wondered if it was the new contacts. But after trying different pairs, it just wasn't making a difference. My eyes were itchy (but not red) and at times the contact would fold up into my eye.
So, Friday, I went to the doctor and found out that I have Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis (GPC). Basically it's bumps on the underside of my eyelid. So, there's irritation because the longer you wear the contact the more stuff sticks to it and rubs against the sore eyelid. The doctor said that it's something that takes a while to show up -- probably I've had symptoms for 4-6 months and just didn't know it. He had to flip my eyelids (like what little boys do to gross out the girls!) to see that this was the problem. Women are 5 to 1 more likely to get GPC.
So now I've been doing eye drops and should be back to contacts over the weekend. I CAN'T WAIT! I'm so sick of glasses! He also suggested that I try a different contact solution so I'll do that too. There's no way to really know if this will happen again. They don't really know what causes it.

No comments: