Nicolette

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sherry's Run

Judy & I before the race. Isn't her shirt cool?!

There were lots of runners -- the first one in was at 18:25 (a 35 yr. old man).

Here I am struggling to make it up one of the hills.

The last turn -- I ran the whole way!

I had wanted to run Sherry's Run last year -- as my first official race -- but I ended up having surgery unexpectedly in August 2008 and was not able to run it. So, this year, I was extra excited about being able to compete in it. I had been training for a 10K in July, but that didn't happen, so this was my chance!

My friend, Mallory Cook, organized a team from our church with 50 some people in it. Most were walkers, but there was a handful of us that ran. My time wasn't the best for me, 36:55 & I was 29th in my age group, but I guess since I hadn't ran outside in a good while and there were a couple good hills, it wasn't so bad.

There were over 3,100 participants, 1,000 of which were runners & 83 teams. They strongly emphasized competing with a team and one of my co-workers joined the church team so that she could compete. I think that it made it easier to keep going, seeing people that I knew and hearing their cheers. Part of the race you went back on the route so you passed people who were still coming up behind you. So, all the walkers were cheering me on as I ran past them. That was much better than the sleeping animals at the zoo run! :)
Check out the site for Sherry's Run!

No comments: