Nicolette

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Jesus Calling

My co-worker had talked to me about this book last fall, but I never remembered to get a copy of it. I talked to her about it again in January which prompted me to pick it up and then she also got me a copy! So, I have two.

With the challenges that were in my life last fall, I was struggling so much with trust. I'm sure that everyone goes through some time in their life where they wonder why God would allow bad things to happen to them, and I guess this was my time. Withdrawing from God seemed to be the path that I took because I couldn't understand why He would allow this in my life. Therefore, my devotional times have been pretty sparse.

Taking a few moments to read something that is challenging and full of God's Word, has been a good start for me to get back where I need to be. I've been trying to read this little devotional more faithfully and have to share a bit that hit me yesterday. February 23rd's devotional is about self pity. The author says, "When you are occuppied with praising and thanking Me, it is impossible to feel sorry for yourself." Really! I have realized how much music plays in my life. Knowing that praise & worship music can lift my spirits makes it even more imperative that I keep it playing. Taking a moment to say a word of thanks is how I need to re-train my mind so that I don't fall into self-pity. This is a very practical step I need to take.

A bonus is that I was talking with a different co-worker yesterday and this came up in conversation. She also uses this book in her devotions and was encouraged to hear me speak of it. We're going to try and keep each other accountable with what we read. Pretty awesome!

No comments: