Nicolette

Monday, March 22, 2010

Weekly Grocery Challenge

It's been going on for several months and I have to say I still get a rush from it when I look at what I've saved. I have tried to hit grocery shopping like a woman on a mission -- how much can I save?!

I have tried to apply what I've seen others do and learn from the blogs I've been reading. If you haven't tried this, I think you should make a try at it. To learn the basics, you can check out Faithful Provisions and she'll give you some easy tips to get started. I learned how to do this from a class that some co-workers had after work one day. I've always been a coupon-cutter, but this brings it to the next level.

What I've been doing, is trying to stock up on items that we use -- when they're on sale and I have coupons for them. It's been a long time coming because I didn't have the ability to just start purchasing "extra" stuff in addition to the necessities, but I have done a little at a time and can honestly say that I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

This week I got $62.58 worth of groceries for $25.27 -- savings of 60%. Granted you have to consider that I wouldn't have gotten this stuff had it not been on sale, but with my strategy going strong now, I have stocked up my freezer and pantry with things that we'll use (eventually). For the most part, I only bought items that were on sale that I had coupons for. There are exceptions (milk & eggs), but the most I spent on one item was $2.82 (1 lb. ground beef w/ a coupon). Most of the items I got were under $1 each and I had several that were free!

So, 25 items for $25.27 (including tax). I'm excited, are you? :)

No comments: