Nicolette

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Diced Tomatoes

Our neighbor had given us a bunch of tomatoes and since we hadn't used them yet, I decided to try out dicing them myself to use for future chili recipes.  Looking at the cookbook, it appeared like it would take about an hour to do.  With my handy helper (Barry), I accomplished the task in about 1 hour.  I was disappointed that I only got 2 packages of tomatoes, but hopefully they'll be the most delightful tomatoes that we've ever had!

Step 1:  Dip tomatoes into boiling water for 30 seconds or so and then dip into cold water.
Step 2: Skin and core tomatoes
 Step 3:  Cut into quarters and fill pan until they cover the bottom.  Crush with wooden spoon.
 Step 4: Heat & stir till boiling.  Add remaining pieces, stirring constantly.  Simmer for 5 minutes.
Step 5:  Let cool (for a few minutes) and fill baggies.  I tried to do less than 16 ounces (knowing a can is 14.5 oz).  Set baggies in a pan of ice water.

Since it was later at night when we did this, I put the baggies in the fridge overnight.  This morning I double-bagged the tomatoes and put them in the deep freeze.

Would I do it again?  Maybe.  I don't believe that I'd purposely buy tomatoes in order to do it, but if I happened to have a bunch again, I think I would.  Guess we'll see how the recipe turns out.  They were much more liquefied than the ones that come in the can.

No comments: